Fibre Training Course OP-456-61 will give you the key fibre skills of splicing, testing and terminating. This course is practice based consisting of twenty exercises supported by a comprehensive workbook and training notes. The course has been delivered to individuals, telecom and datacomm installers, aerospace and rail companies, power utilities, oil and gas and military organizations.
You start with an introduction to fibre showing how fibre works, its benefits and how to calculate loss budgets. You follow that with nine hours of hands on splicing during which you will make an in-line joint, a patch panel and a fibre wall box. Also you will learn how to get the best out of the splicer and cleaver and about maintenance of the equipment and which tools to use.
The Fibre Training Course Testing modules include seven hours of hands on OTDR and loss testing. As a result you will master the OTDR, learn how to configure the testers, store and compare traces and produce OTDR and loss test reports. Exercises include testing short links, long cables and through splitters. As a result you build an ability to interpret fibre faults such as bends, bad splices, poor connectors and components. Finally you go on to learn how to clean and inspect connectors, test bare fibres and mechanical splicing.
By the end of the course you will be proficient in the following:
- OTDR for commissioning fibre networks – generate professional test results
- OTDR for troubleshooting fibre networks – find a break in a fibre, a bend or a bad connector
- Power meter and optical source for Insertion loss measurement
- Return Loss testing – does the fibre link have too many reflections?
- Visible light source for fault finding
- Bare fibre testing – test cables prior to installation
- Connector Inspection & Cleaning – identify connector faults and clean connectors properly
- Fibre preparation – how to clean fibres and make them ready for splicing
- Cable preparation – strip cables without damaging the fibres
- Fusion Splicing – join optical fibres quickly and with low losses
- Mechanical Splicing
- Connector Termination – learn the best ways to put a connector onto fibre.
- OPTICAL FIBRES AND OPTICAL COMMUNICATIONS
- HEALTH & SAFETY
- CABLES & CONNECTOR
- OTDR BASIC PERFORMANCE
- OTDR SPECIFICATIONS AND CAPABILITIES
- USING THE OTDR
- SPLICING BASICS
- FIBRE MANAGEMENT & JOINTING
- CONNECTOR TERMINATION
Next available dates for the Fibre Technology Masterclass Training:
- 26th to 28th August
- 2nd to 4th September
- 23rd to 25th September
- 30th September to 2nd October
- 7th to 9th October
- 21st to 23rd October
- 28th to 30th October